Chalking my Balayage Hair, a DIY tutorial with Pastel Chalks

Sunday, April 22, 2012
Balayage Hair: Before chalking
Munovo Soft Pastel Chalks
Twisting my hair as I go
Applying the pastel chalk in a downwards motion
Finished style, curled with a hot iron and some hairspray to hold it

What I used for my balayage hair: Munovo Soft Pastel Chalks Pack of 24; curling iron; light hairspray. (Water is only needed if your hair is dark, or you want to make colour brighter)

Chalking my Balayage hair: I was looking for a quick and temporary hair colour change for the upcoming Wish fashion showing I was attending. Chalked hair was a fantastic alternative to using my usual fudge - because it washes out straight away. 
  • To start, you will need to purchase some soft pastel chalks (do not get mixed up with oil pastels - too sticky! or normal chalk - won't release pigment easily). Soft pastel chalks releases good pigment and washes away with water.
  • If you have light hair such as mine, you can apply the pastel chalk straight to separate strands of hair.  DO NOT NEED TO ADD WATER. Twist your hair as you go, because the friction releases more pigments. 
  • Apply in a downwards motion, not in an up and down motion as so you do not get your hair tangled and ratty. It also helps to move in the natural direction of your hair.
  • Mix two colours on the one strand of hair for more fun, it can give a tie-dyed effect!
  • If you want a more intense and brighter colour to your hair, you can add some water as you apply (please note this can cause staining and can stay in your hair for longer than one wash because the powder is now more like a dye).
  • If your hair is dark, you will need to add water anyways for the colour to show
  • After chalking, you can use a hot curling iron to curl your hair or just to 'set' the colours into your hair. Finish off with hairspray if needed.
  • Please note the chalking powder may come off during the night - try to wear dark colours or same colours as hair to avoid the stains showing.
  • Be careful of wet weather! Rain will make the chalk run, and you definitely do not want that happening. Use gloves and towels to avoid getting the chalk everywhere as you apply.
I found a great beauty tutorial here on The Beauty Department. This article comes with some very helpful tips! I used 5 colours - pastel pinks, dark purples, greens and blues. I applied to the front layers of my hair. But you can use your imagination and use as many colours as you like.
After I shampooed, I used my Goldwell conditioning treatment to treat my ends, I won't lie, the chalking really dried out my hair. So I won't do it often, but I love it still.
Happy Chalking!

xx Natalie

73 comments :

Christian said...

★ (・∀・)

love pictures on your blog :) very nice layout. clean and charming. love your blog.

my blog (≧∀≦) σ : http://www.christianyuen.blogspot.com/

Minnie said...

That is so cute ... nice for summer time.

maggie said...

That is such a cool way to temporarily 'dye' your hair! Very nice.

xx maggie
saltandleather.blogspot.com

//tomatoeggs. said...

wow that looks really good!

milana2078 said...

Great idea! You - very impressive! Brava!



http://designer2078.blogspot.com/

UnA said...

INSPIRED love!

rachel said...

you look amazing! love this so much x

Natalie Mulford said...

Oh, what a great idea! It looks lovely!

halfwhiteboy said...

haha! this is soooo cool!

http://halfwhiteboy.blogspot.com/

LoveT. said...

Wow ,looks fab.! Love it :)

xxx

JanM ♥ said...

That's pretty cool!

xo,
janmloves.blogspot.com

underthewillowtrees said...

Looks beautiful. Love the colour of your lipstick here too xx

Fabliha said...

omg your hair looks amazing!
xx
INSIDE IN INSIDE OUT

Andie Willows said...

wow! this is really cool! amazing!

xoxo, andie
Fashionista's Pick

ENTER MY GIVEAWAY HERE

drop-dead GORGEOUS said...

looks soo cool! love it :)
<3

Mica said...

Great tutorial, thank you for sharing! :)

I love your finished look so much, it's beautiful! :)

AwayFromTheBlue.blogspot.com.au

Alice said...

Bellissima! Idea molto originale!

DailyGlamour said...

Cute !! Come to visit my page and follow me if you love it !
Kiss

Sootjeelina said...

Awesome tutorial! I'm really gonna try this, it looks great

xoxo Sootjeelina <3

Nora said...

what a fun idea. and it looks amazing too! :)
xx Nora

Lucyle said...

Wow I have to try this :)
I like your blog,I am followin you,if you want I would be glad that you come to visit my blog and follow me if you like :)
http://liliemarlen.blogspot.com/

Stay Luxury said...

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog! I’ d be very pleased if you like my blog enough to follow it and I will follow yours of course! I wish you lots of success and will surely come back often!

Stay Luxury
xx
http://stayluxury.blogspot.com/

Stylist Steph said...

Love your hair! So unique and such a clever way to colour it! It looks amazing! Totally completes your look!

www.styliststeph.blogspot.com

Tara India said...

Such an inspired idea, it looks so cute on you! I love the trend for pastel hair colours but would never do it permanently, this is the perfect temporary way to get the look :) xox

http://myobsessiondujour.blogspot.co.uk/

Wren said...

I love this look! And I love your lipstick colour. What is it?

Wren
http://www.houseofwren.blogspot.com/

inês prates said...

amazing idea!

Sarah of CGS said...

Love these photos! great idea!!

http://citygurlsecrets.com

Clara Turbay said...

Very cool and stylish!

Superblondeep said...

great idea! good joband very easy! looove it

Daisy said...

Oh my, your hair looks so pretty!

Heather said...

I've been wanting to try this for a while! You totally pulled this off! Great look.

http://fashionistanygirl.blogspot.com/

Jenny said...

This looks really good on you. You know how to rock it out! Really like the effect of your photos especially the first two.

Jenny

http://yay-yah-yeah.blogspot.com

el_martina said...

I'm going to do my hair like yours!

Sophie said...

Such a great idea - I adore these images!

xo

http://girlonbroughtonstreet.blogspot.co.uk

Jadeintheskies said...

Ah, your hair turned out so perfectly <3 Love it

xx Jordana
http://jadeintheskies.blogspot.com

Biser Sable said...

Wow it's amazing!^^ I'll try it when my hair get longer!<3

la vie quotidienne said...

Woww awesome!!! Great idea! )

xoxo from München
La Vie Quotidienne
www.laviequo.com

Blaise said...

Oh my gosh this is soo soo cool!!!!! I am definitely gonna do this, sounds so fun! also your lipsticks such a great colour :)


http://blaiseruby.blogspot.co.uk/

x

Ría said...

You look amazing with those colors.

http://www.atitelavoyacontar.blogspot.com

shardette.. said...

So smart! I am going to have to try this! I bought the Kevin Murphy colour bug in Purple but it took about 3 days to wash out.. crazy!

xx Shardette

www.shardette.com

Sunny & Star said...

You look amazing. I love your hair. So pretty.

We are having a giveaway for a personalized necklace on our blog, please stop by and enter.

Sunny Days and Starry Nights

Giveaway

Bonnie said...

I really want to try chalking my hair sometime. It looks great!

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

cate @ wild ruffle said...

How fun is that?! I never would've thought to use chalk!!

cate @ wild ruffle said...

How fun is that?! I never would've thought to use chalk!!

Daisy said...

Great tutorial! You have lovely hair!
Thanks for checking out my blog. :)

blooomingdaisies.blogspot.com

Preity Lama Tamang said...

this is definitely an amazing DIY for those who are not ready to tip dye their hair!!! AMAZING
xx

trishie said...

Wow, that looks so fun and awesome. Might have to give it a go one day!

Sam said...

Hi dear, this look came out gorgeous! A creative and temporary way to sprucing up hair...love the colours and final effect

Janna said...

Thanks for your lovely comment! <3
I really like your blog, especially this diy, such a great idea.
Also got a beautiful header!

Wanna follow each other?
www.cupcakecuisine.blogspot.com

Megan said...

How fun! I love your lip color :)

Simone said...

Thanks for sharing!! This is sooo cool!

Kisses from Austria,
Simone

Floortje said...

Look amazing! Great idea!
XO

Hipstalur said...

WOW! amazing post, I'm loving all of the pastel colours you chose for your hair. Such an amazing blog, now following!<3
www.hipstalurquirkyfashion.blogspot.co.uk

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

BEAUTIFUL, what a great tutorial!

Sophie Lambert said...

Wow! That looks so amazing!
Definitely trying that out some time!

http://sophie-victoria.blogspot.co.uk/

Ruby-May said...

LOve this DIY! Your hair looks amazingg., might give it a go on mine despite mine being very dark :) X

Katie- Hems for Her said...

I love that! Too bad as a teacher I can't do fun stuff like that~!

Damycool said...

looks great!!
xoxo

Adelina Alexander said...

The perfect color lip stick for your skin tone!
xoxo

Nydia said...

I think I may do this! I always wanted to paint my hair with bright colors hair and this is perfect if you don't want it permanent!

Love it!

xo

agirlnamednydia.blogspot.com

Anthea Lau said...

Amazing hair! Love it so so much <3

http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com.au/

A
xxx

Ruby Girl said...

your hair is SO fun!! and that lip color is PERFECT. xoxo linds of www.rubygirlblog.com

KirstyCupcakexo said...

Oh that looks lovely with your hair :) Great post :)

Kirsty xx
http://kirsty-elizabeth-loves.blogspot.co.uk/

Niki said...

i soooo wanna try this!!! looks great!!!

Jane S said...

Ohh will defo try this! Great way to change up your hair! Great! J. X

Laura said...

What an amazing idea !
This looks amazing on you!

Love from France
xxx
Laura

Sarah said...

Love it! Super keen to try....now where to find pastel chalk?lol xx

Sarah said...

Love it! Super keen to try....now where to find pastel chalk?lol xx

the girl never gets older said...

this is so creative! thanks for sharing, I need to try this!

Nisha said...

Love your hair!

Jacqueline davis moranti said...

I hope it works out with afro-ed hair!


Burgundywhispers.com

Printingtextil Natasha said...

Love your hair with or with out colors!

Dipalok Barua said...

Are you familiar with this patent?
If you love a tidy house and want to enjoy a good night's sleep this patent is for you.
http://www.clicklthesheets.com

Enjoy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...